Sound Policy

Note: only Second Stage-sponsored productions may use Second Stage’s sound equipment. All other requests will be rejected outright.

Sound equipment can be very expensive. The Sound Specialist’s primary responsibility is to assure safe use of sound equipment to avoid any preventable and unnecessary damage. Still, the Sound Specialist may have more experience with audio and be able to help sound engineer a musical or offer technical advice.

All Second Stage productions get access to our vast inventory of sound equipment including (but not limited to) wireless microphones (lapels, clip-ons, and handhelds), digital and analog soundboards, portable speakers, and more. Each piece of equipment has its own policies and procedures, so you must speak with the current Sound Specialist before using any sound equipment. That includes loading sound equipment into any performance space, including the ‘92.



Many Second Stage productions, especially musicals, use microphones (wired or wireless). Microphones should be fully charged or have new batteries before each performance, and must be turned off when not in use. Each microphone corresponds to a specific frequency that should not be changed without conferring with the current Sound Specialist. We have available wireless microphones for the ‘92 and other campus spaces, but in the case that your show requires additional rentals, please see below for how to proceed in that situation.

If your show uses microphones, you will almost definitely require a Sound Engineer to operate these microphones alongside your SBO (Sound Board Operator). The Sound Engineer with operate the soundboard to make sure mic levels are consistent and no feedback occurs.

Microphones must be locked up after ever performance. While the microphone without the receiver is a bit useless, someone still may attempt to steal the mic and it is extremely expensive to replace any part of the duo. Please be conscious of where you store Second Stage’s equipment.




Second Stage maintains an inventory of speakers to accommodate the ‘92 and other campus spaces. Therefore, there really shouldn’t ever be a situation in which you should require additional speakers.

If you are working in the ‘92, you almost always won’t have to worry about speakers since the space is fitted with one in each corner. In the case that you have a musical pit (i.e. instrumentalists), you should enlist a Sound Engineer to manage how each musician is amplified as well as how the musicians receive “feedback” audio from their own performance so that they can hear what they’re playing.

If you are working in other campus spaces, always speak to the Sound Specialist to figure out what speakers work best for you depending on the scope of your show.




This has become less relevant as Second Stage has procured more equipment every semester, but there may be the case in which you need additional sound equipment. There are several resources for which to rent said equipment, but you must talk to the current Sound Specialist before making any rentals as such purchases must go through the Theater Department, not Second Stage.

In the past, we’re primarily rented from Ace Audio as well as Wesleyan’s own IMS.