Second Stage is funded by Wesleyan University, which operates on a system of reimbursement. This means that the school will reimburse purchases after they've been made, with a particular process for doing so. We are therefore able to provide Second Stage productions with sizable budgets, but individuals will need to make payments with their own credit cards and receive funds following the completion of their production.
The most important step of this process is approving your budget before you make purchases. If you make a purchase without first getting it approved by a Second Stage staff member, you will not be reimbursed for your purchase. We cannot stress this enough: we don't want you to spend your own money, but we need to make sure our funding is spent on approved items.
Approving Your Budget
Before spending anything, your show's budget must be approved. We'll first approve your total budget (based on approximations for the cost of each design element of your show) and then approve individual items for purchasing on an ongoing process. Our budget templates make it easy to keep track of which purchases have been approved and which are awaiting approval.
Once again, Second Stage will not be able to reimburse you for any unapproved purchases.
In the case that you need to order something very early on due to long shipping periods or if the item is necessary for your rehearsals, you may contact the relevant staff member and seek our early approval (only after contacting your team's Second Stage advisor).
To get reimbursed, you'll need to follow these guidelines:
- Save all receipts.
- Do not use points or Middletown cash.
- You must use your credit/debit card with your name, not your parents' or anyone else's.
- Do not highlight receipts.
- Give all receipts to your Stage Manager, who will then give them to the ML at strike.
The reimbursement system is a long and slow process. If you need to buy an expensive item but don't have the funds to wait an entire semester for reimbursement, talk to your Second Stage advisor and we will find an alternate way to purchase the item.
When ordering online, you may receive several confirmation notices for your order. To get reimbursed, you must provide a receipt with the following information:
- The name of the vendor (e.g. Amazon).
- The name of the spender (you).
- Spender's (your) WesBox number.
- The name of the show.
- A description of the item.
- Proof of purchase (i.e. last four digits of your credit card must be on the invoice).
- If re-totaled (in the case that you make another purchase in the same order unrelated the budget purchase), please circle the actual total.