Handling Props in the '92 Theater and the CFA
PROPS ROOM GENERAL POLICY
Second Stage has an amazing Props Room! It's full of wonder and excitement, but just like everything full of wonder and excitement there must be rules:
- The Second Stage props room is open to everyone who needs props! That includes student groups, film theses, and Second Stage shows, and the like. However, we always give priority towards Second Stage shows.
- On another note, Second Stage is technically required to give the Theater Department (our overlords) full priority over use of props and furniture.
- The ‘92 Props Room is open by appointment, depending on the availability of Properties Manager(s). If you would like to borrow anything, please request an appointment via an email sent to all acting Properties Manager(s) that includes ideal dates and times for the appointment, and a list of objects needed.
- At least one Properties Manager must be present for the lending/return of objects, or another member of staff (with the permission of a Properties Manager). Access isn't allowed in all other cases.
The CFA also has a wonderful props collection (with furniture)! Here is some advice on borrowing from the CFA Shop:
- To check out any furniture stored in the CFA Shop, props/set designers should first email the acting Properties Manager(s) requesting an appointment. In the email, the designers should include ideal dates and times for meeting (within open Shop hours) and basic descriptions of the objects they are looking for.
- Renting designers should schedule to meet with the Properties Manager(s) at least one week before their load-in.
Note: we recommend that designers meet at least twice with the Properties Manager(s) before checking out furniture from the CFA (conveniently at the 4- and 2-week Monday meetings). The 4-week meeting lets designers develop a better understanding of the selection of the CFA, and between these meetings we recommend designers meet with their directors to discuss & confirm their ideas/selections. Finally, at the 2-week meeting, designers should stop by again to reserve furniture for their show.
- CFA props hours, while varying from semester to semester, typically live between a Monday-to-Friday-9-to-5 range unless otherwise specified. If a show's designer wants to borrow CFA set pieces for their show, they can pick up the set pieces either on the Friday before their tech week or on the following Monday.
- Each rented item requires the signature, name, phone, WesBox, and WesID of the renting designer. This is for liability purposes, as it signifies that the renter is monetarily responsible for all items borrowed during the lending period (just don't break things!).
- Preliminary item checks will be made prior to all props and furniture lending, in the presence of the renting designer. In each check, properties managers will note any flaws in the items and record accordingly. If items are returned in worse than original condition, the designer will be held monetarily responsible.
Note: original condition and returned condition are decided at the discretion of the Technical Director of the CFA as well as the Properties Manager(s). Don't be scared to rent things though! Life is scary but you shouldn't be scared to rent props.
- All item returns to the CFA must be made the Monday after strike, no exceptions.
- Designers are to schedule an appointment for their returns either at strike, or via email according to the policy above.
- Upon returning borrowed furniture, final item checks will be made by the Technical Director of the CFA and the Properties Managers, who will check to ensure that items received no further damage while in the designer’s care.
Designers who want to pick up their things on Friday (and thus be able to load in over the weekend) can get temporary storage for their set pieces in a storage area designated by Second Stage. We have this storage to ensure that the show preparing for tech doesn't accidentally mess with the show currently in tech. As soon as the show using using the storage space loads their stored set pieces in, the space will no longer be available to re-store things.
Upon the strike/completion of a show, lent CFA furniture can stay in the '92 until the Monday following strike, at which point the furniture needs to be returned to the CFA (as per CFA returns protocol), denoted above.
'92 PROPS STRIKE
Designers need to be available and present for their strike, no exceptions (there's a ton to do and we really need the help!). At this time, the Properties Manager(s) will accompany the designers and their props to the props room, where all borrowed props will be returned and all newly-acquired items will be inventoried (and that is a word).
Note: if upon check-in items are missing or damaged, designers will be held monetarily responsible at the discretion of the Properties Manager(s). As mentioned before, don't be scared to rent things though! Life is scary but you shouldn't be scared to rent props.
Final note: the Properties Manager(s) and the Technical Director of the CFA have the right to refuse to lend props to individuals who habitually return damaged props or fail to return props. That should be common sense, though.